What Are E Cigs?
E-cigarettes continue to grow in popularity among smokers and adults seeking an alternative to smoking. Commonly referred to by a number of terms, including e-cigs, electronic cigarettes, vaping, and vaporizer cigarettes, e-cigarettes are a device that is used as an alternative to smoking traditional tobacco cigarettes.
How Vaping Works
In general, vaping and the use of e-cigs in not considered smoking. They are battery operated and are considered an ideal alternative for people who do not want to inhale cigarette smoke.
These devices emit doses of vaporized nicotine, rather than smoke, which are inhaled by users. Vegetable Glycerin or Propylene Glycol based liquids are most commonly used. The liquids or juice (e-liquid or e-juice) that is used in e-cigs is generally categorized in milligrams of nicotine. They range from 0 mg up to 24 mg, with the stronger the dose of nicotine, the greater the throat sensation when inhaled. Most new users start with a lower dose to assess their tolerance and preference. They are also available in a number of different flavours.
There are four main components of e-cigarettes:
- The mouthpiece: Also known as the cartridge, this is the piece that is fixed to the end of the tube. It can be replaced or refilled with vaporized liquid.
- The atomizer: This is the heat element that heats up the liquid and causes it to vaporize. This piece lasts between 3-6 months, depending on how much you use it.
- The battery: The battery powers the atomizer. In most cases, lithium ion rechargeable batteries are used.
- LED light: Many new models have LED lights that signal when the e-cigarette is active.
Vaping Benefits Compared to Smoking
Many smokers are making the switch to e-cigarettes because they offer a number of benefits when compared to traditional cigarettes. Benefits include:
- Experience a similar sensation to inhaling tobacco smoke, without the smoke
- E-cigs are odourless, eliminating the stigma associated with cigarette smoke
- Electronic smoking is more cost effective than smoking traditional cigarettes
- Vapor cigarettes are safer to use
- E-cigarettes are becoming more socially acceptable
People Switch To Vaping Because It’s Safer
Even though it is not considered to be an “approved method” to help people quit smoking, a recent study conducted by researchers at University College London (UCL) in the UK, published in the journal Addiction “found that among people who are trying to quit smoking without seeking professional assistance, those who use e-cigarettes are 60% more likely to successfully quit smoking, compared to those who use alternative methods such as nicotine replacement therapies and willpower.”
Ecigarettes continue to grow in popularity and are becoming more widely available with an increasing number of options for users to choose from. To get started, check out these E-Cig Starter Kits.